Skip to main content
SS Nano Blog
our twitterour facebook page linkdin
site map
shopping cart
My Account
Skyspring Nanopowder  and Nanoparticles
Micron & Nanopowders Powders - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Cerium Oxide Powder, Glass Oxide Nanoparticles - SS Nano
Dysprosium Oxide, Dysprosium Metal
Erbium Oxide Metal - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Europium Oxide, Europium Metal
Gadolinium Chemical, Magnetic Properties & Allergy Symptoms
Holmium Oxide Filter, Holmium Metals - SS Nano
Lanthanum Aluminum Oxide, Carbonate Hydrate | Lanthanum for Pools
Lutetium Oxide, Lutetium Metal
Neodymium Iron Boron Magnets | Neodymium Oxide & Metal
Praseodymium Oxide, Praseodymium Metal
Samarium Oxide, Samarium Metal
Scandium Oxide, Scandium Metal
Terbium Metal - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Thulium Oxide Metal - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Ytterbium Oxide, Ytterbium Metal
Yttrium Barium Copper Oxide for Sale - SS Nano
Rare Materials On Earth - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Carbon Nanotubes & Graphenes - Skyspring Nanomaterials
Our Certificates - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Payment Options - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Companies Terms and Conditions - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Frequent Questions - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Ethics Policy - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Payment & Terms - SkySpring Nanomaterials
Metal Oxide Nanomaterials | Contact Us - SS Nano
Careers - SkySpring Nanomaterials
C - Carbon

C - Carbon

Atomic Number: 6          Period Number:  2         Group Number: 14

Carbon is the 15th most abundant element in the earth's crust. It has been known from ancient times.There are three allotropes of carbon are known in nature: amorphous, graphite and diamond. And carbon has two known isotopes until now: the isotope carbon -12 forms 98.93%  and carbon -13 forms the remaining 1.07%.


Graphite has a layered structure and it is one of the softest materials known in the world. Naturally occurring graphite occurs in two forms, alpha and beta. Primarily it is used as lubricants and now it has been widely used for making batteries, steel-making, expended graphite, pencils and refractories. Diamond is one of the hardest materials known until now. Some of the diamond are from natural directly, but most of them are artificially produced. The small diamonds are made by squeezing graphite under high temperatures and pressures.


There are millions of carbon compounds and carbon is the key element to form the organic compounds. This is because carbon can form long-chain of C-C bonds  and it is very stable and strong. This will make foundation for the organic compounds forming. Many carbon compounds are essential for life as we know it. Some of the most common carbon compounds are: carbon dioxide (CO2), carbonmonoxide (CO), carbon disulfide (CS2), chloroform (CHCl3), carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), methane (CH4), ethylene (C2H4), acetylene (C2H2), benzene (C6H6), ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH) and acetic acid (CH3COOH).


Physical and Chemical properties:

Atomic Weight: 12.0107

Melting Point: 3823 K

Boiling Point: 4098 K

Density: 2.2670 g/cm3

Phase at Room Temperature: Solid

Ionization Energy: 11.260 eV

Oxidation States: +4, +2, -4



See also:

Wikipedia - Basics on Carbon
WebElements - The basic elements of Carbon
Jefferson Lab - Learning about Carbon



    SkySpring Nanomaterials, Inc.
    2935 Westhollow Drive Houston, TX 77082 USA
    Phone: 281-870-1700 Fax: 281-870-8002 Email:
    Powders Rare EarthNanotubes Order Info/FAQ Contact Employment

    Copyright © 2023 All Rights Reserved